photo home-28.png  photo about-26.png  photo herbs.png  photo parenting.png  photo recipies.png  photo oils.png
 photo header-27.png

Friday, May 1, 2009

Why Do We Do It?

A question was posed to me today that goes with another question that has been popping up in my mind for a while. A question that I don't ask, because it's too controversial for church. This is a weblog, though, so I'll ask it here .
How do people that do not have access to bibles and study materials build relationship with God and walk the narrow path? Are they 'inferior' christians because they don't know all of the things that I have access to knowing? Am I an inferior christian for not taking advantage of all of the bible study materials that I have access to?
Here's the question that was posed -- Why do we spend so much time with bible studies and so little time doing what we already know to do. Love God, and Love Others.
Relationship with God can be had through prayer, right? God can, and does, reveal Himself to us through ways other than the bible.

So, is there biblical call to immerse ourselves in bible studies? Deuteronomy 6 tells us to teach God's laws to our children and grand children consistantly. That's through relationship. It's verbal and by example.
Where is our command to go and study? Help me out, here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure you're going to find a biblical mandate other than "If you seek me with your whole heart, you will find me." How else do you seek God and come to know him without the study of his word?

But then where is the biblical mandate for the altar call or the "accept-Jesus-in-your-heart"? I don't find that either.

We've devised methods for accomplishing both...and only those who experience the real-deal at the end of it can speak to whether or not any of it helped.

Unknown said...

okay, anonymous. Good point. I hadn't yet thgought about Altar Call. I've come to terms with Accept Jesus into your heart. A blog on that later. BUT---What about christians that don't have access to 'materials' for bible study, or a bible, even. Are they left out? Does their relationship with God stagnate? And if they are so harmless, then why are they being killed and and tortured for their belief?

Emily said...

Here are your own words:

These studies have been changing me in so many ways. 1. Allowing God to transform me by the renewing of my mind. - Studying God's word with purpose is amazing. It is a blessing to be able to learn this study technique. 2. Discovering what it is about Himself that God wants me to learn. -It isn't about me. It's about God, and it's about time I discovered that! 3. Living what His Word says. -Living God's way, within His purpose and giving God glory whatever transpires.

These studies have helped to build my confidence in 'discipling' others. Not that I know everything and can teach it all, but that I have the capacity, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to serve others and demonstrate Jesus Christ through that process. That building relationships is not only a good thing to do, but a biblical requirement.

PUP studies, as Colleen said, do cause us to retain God's holy word. This is a great help in daily living. It's a major measure of defense, and a source of encouragement.